Pope Francis at Vargihna, Brazil
Photo by Tânia Rêgo/ABr, Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Brazil license
Reported today by the AP, available at Yahoo! News, “Pope: Abandon ‘futile’ military Syria solution“:
In a letter Thursday to the G-20 host, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Francis lamented that “one-sided interests” had prevailed in Syria, preventing a diplomatic end to the conflict and allowing the continued “senseless massacre” of innocents.
“To the leaders present, to each and every one, I make a heartfelt appeal for them to help find ways to overcome the conflicting positions and to lay aside the futile pursuit of a military solution,” Francis wrote as the G-20 meeting got under way in St. Petersburg.
OK, what do we know? We know:
- The United States must get weaker in the end times.
- The United States, or at least the President, is pushing for intervention of some type in Syria.
- Much of the world is against intervening at this time.
- Much of America is tired of war.
- If the President does not intervene, he will look weak because he did not stand behind his tough rhetoric.
- Since the President cannot convince even the Brits, perhaps our strongest ally ever, to join in a military action, he already looks weak.
- If Congress is not swayed to intervene, then the President will definitely look weaker still.
- Even if President Obama intervenes, he looks weak for waiting so long, is opening himself up for more criticism from Russia (and other corners of the world) and may even lose support in Germany, as many Germans are against invading Syria as well.
- Germany must somehow be strengthened in the end times. This may require a change of governments to one that will be blatantly anti-US.
- The Pope must gain strength.
- There is a lot riding on this single decision.
Of course, this alone is not the only issue facing the United States, but it could well overshadow many of the other problems we are having. Many seem to be aimlessly trying to come to grips with the multitude of issues our society is facing. It really seems that no human being has all the answers.
Have I left anything out? Only perhaps what God says of disobedient nations He has previously blessed:
15 But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:
16 Cursed shalt thou be in the city, and cursed shalt thou be in the field.
17 Cursed shall be thy basket and thy store.
18 Cursed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy land, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.
19 Cursed shalt thou be when thou comest in, and cursed shalt thou be when thou goest out.
25 The Lord shall cause thee to be smitten before thine enemies: thou shalt go out one way against them, and flee seven ways before them: and shalt be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth.
26 And thy carcase shall be meat unto all fowls of the air, and unto the beasts of the earth, and no man shall fray them away.