You know, while a couple of COG related blogs have picked up the story about the Pasadena Symphony moving into Ambassador Auditorium, I have to admit to having my focus on something else of late.
I don’t know, and I could be wrong, but wasn’t materialism supposed to be the bane of the Laodiceans? Yeah, they were lukewarm, but only because they thought they had all the material things they need.
14"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. 15I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. 19Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. 20Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. 21To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."
~ Rev 3:14-22 (NIV)
Now, here is what has been bothering me:
- What COG clings to physical books and booklets of the past?
- What COG goes above and beyond to acquire swans, concert halls, colleges and other physical articles? Even letters!
- What COG seems to be obsessed more than any other with a physical place of safety?
More to the point:
- What COG wretchedly acts as though they have no need of anything or anyone else, even family members?
- What COG pitifully struts its leader around as “That Prophet”?
- What COG has almost bankrupted itself in an effort to distribute physical books?
- What COG turns a blind eye to what its leadership does more than any other?
- What COG turns to Phariseeism to the point of being stripped of any resemblance of righteous clothing?
You know, when Jesus talks of being “refined in the fire”, it would probably be a good idea to take heed if the shoe fits. Certainly, I do not desire “rebuke” or “discipline”, much preferring to learn the easy way.
This puts into perspective a couple of quotes by Flurry that has always hit me the wrong way (courtesy of www.pcog.info):
1. But I’ll tell you this, God’s top physical office is very important to you brethren, because how you think about that office, does reflect how you think about God. [Emphasis mine.]
2. Over the past year, The Philadelphia Church of God has SUBSTANTIALLY STRENGHTENED IT’S BALANCE SHEET, laying a solid foundation for future GROWTH & EXPANSION. God’s people have truly shown their deep seated faith, in supporting the work of the Living God! Strong income growth, coupled with cut backs in a number of areas – primarily television – has allowed OUR NET WORTH TO INCREASE BY OVER 60% in just 13 months. Income for the first six months of this year is ahead of last year by a very welcome 20% (roughly 1 million), representing the MOST SIGNIFICANT INCOME GROWTH in a number of years.
Since the acquisition of our original 40 acres, just 13 months ago, THE CHURCH’S NET FIXED ASSETS HAVE GROWN AN INCREDIBLE 325% to 4.7 million of land, equipment and buildings!