Why are our children so violent? What causes young people to want to shoot up a school? Could it be the messages we tell our children?
- You are not as hard-working, virtuous or strong as our generation.
- Your generation will never amount to anything.
- You are made of stardust. That sounds cool, of course, until you realize so is everything else in the universe.
- You are not created in the image of God. You are shaped just like apes and chimpanzees.
- You are nothing special. In fact, you are disposable. You could have been aborted.
- You came from mere tissue. You are just tissue grown up.
- There is no purpose in life. When you are dead, you are gone.
- You are not really dead as long as your loved ones keep your memory alive. Of course, one day they too will die, and then there will be no one to remember you.
- You only live once. You might as well do what you want to do, and it matters not what anyone else thinks.
- Greed is good. Be selfish. Don’t worry about anyone else.
- You are weak and powerless. We need to wrap you up in bubble wrap before you go to the playground. You should never feel pain, sorrow or disappointment, lest you be scarred for life.
- You deserve praise and accolades for just showing up, not because you did any hard work. No one expects you to actually succeed, anyhow.
- There is no such thing as absolute truth. Truth is what you make it. It does not matter how wacky, how far-fetched or how far it deviates from reality.
- Likewise, morality is relative. Morality is what you make it. It does not matter how friends, family or the rest of the world views it.
- You don’t have to be accountable to anyone. Ever. You are your own moral authority.
- Your self-esteem is the highest moral goal, even higher than all those lives you are about to take.
Instead of empty self-esteem based upon absolutely nothing at all, God has another take on things.
11 I know the plans I have in mind for you, declares the Lord; they are plans for peace, not disaster, to give you a future filled with hope.
~ Jer 29:11 (CEB)