3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
It has become more and more evident to me over time that there is no such thing as a godly form of government. Any and all forms of government can be corrupted. God knew this in advance when he created a split among the judges, the civil authorities, and the priests, the religious authorities. These were supposed to keep one another in check. When both failed, God sent prophets to turn people back to Him.
It is interesting how evil flourishes best when tyrants are in charge and freedoms are curtailed. Sometimes, this is done by providing a distraction. One “freedom” is won for a select group, which buys their unyielding loyalty, while others are totally disregarded and are expected to merely submit no matter the cost. Democracies might not be the best or most righteous form of governance, but their inefficiency makes corruption a little more difficult — at first. Once corruption sets in, true democracy is diminished as fast as real freedom is taken away.
Certainly, freedom and righteousness are intertwined.
Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
~ Benjamin Franklin
Ex-President Mohamed Morsi is a good example of one who talked about democracy all the while laying the groundwork for Sharia law and installing cronies into office. Sharia law is anything but democratic. Saying Morsi was the duly democratic president at the time is an oxymoron. The populace showed how he really was not and ousted him.
Yet, our own country sees freedoms stripped away little by little, and the public allows it, much as Germany gave over her freedoms to Adolf Hitler who promised the nation many great things. Americans seem to keep preoccupied with various things, and there is only an outcry when it hits them personally. The outcry over the Affordable Care Act is too little too late. People have been listening to the Pied Piper’s song, lulled into complacency, and even then it seems that the outrage is rather muffled.
If a nation expects to be ignorant and free . . . it expects what never was and never will be
~ Thomas Jefferson
The AFA works to fix 15% of people who were underinsured by inconveniencing the other 85%. In a grand stroke, the government now has access to even more of your personal information and seeks to control and dictate who can be seen, who can be insured and for what. Benevolent or not, this is not freedom.
There is even more chilling news, though, on the electronic front. That is why I today posted “News Roundup: Land of the Not So Free?” on my technology blog. Even Microsoft is chafing under the criticism of a lack of privacy in using software, and it has compared the US government’s activities to that of cybercriminals, covered only by the thinnest of veils.
Let’s face it: Governments will take power if handed to them. Only the righteous will give back to the people, but governments and their followers will tend towards corruption over the long haul every time.
A lot of this has to do with the idolatry of government. When God is pushed out of the picture, government is seen as the one and only savior, and that government will take control of their lives.
Just like in some “Church of God” organizations.
9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
~ Rev 3:9
Extreme control, fear and intimidation are the tools of Satan. Recognize them and be on guard.
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
~ 1Jn 4:18