I want to list some things that make me a little bit sad today. No, they aren’t directly related to the UCG mess, and many will cut across some boundaries.
I think it sad when:
- Young people talk about when the older ones die so that the artificial boundaries are knocked down between people who believe 95% of the same things.
- A church organization stops sending volunteers to Legacy Institute in Thailand because the school won’t become part of its particular church organization.
- Church organizations become more worried about branding the sheep than the well-being of the flock.
- Church organizations look down their noses at other church organizations over contrived and unbiblical doctrines.
- Individuals from two different organizations end up at the same place for the NTBMO, but they remain separate though they are observing the same thing.
- Leaders get kicked out for putting an emphasis on evangelism.
- Leaders are censured for speaking to “other groups” who mostly believe the same things as the leader.
- Members are castigated for daring to think.
- Members are punished, shunned or looked down upon for visiting “other groups” who are in at least 95% agreement in beliefs.
- Pastors stop listening.
- Members lose heart.