I was excited to learn about SocialVibe, a website where a blogger/webmaster can get a badge to promote a charity that costs nothing to the users of the site. Basically, you can click on the badge once per day and a sponsoring organization pays a certain amount to the chosen charity.
So, why did I choose One Laptop Per Child? There are several reasons, but among them:
1. I apparently could only choose one from the SocialVibe site.
2. It is technology oriented, and many of my writings, especially on John D’s Computer & Network Services blog, are technology oriented.
3. I believe it will be a charity that my readers can relate to.
4. It goes to children. Children are the future.
5. People need much more than food. Children in particular need education, and some of them will have no other means of learning.
6. Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime. Using a computer is a valuable skill that can be used to be productive and earn a living.
7. Many of the people benefiting will not be able to solve any of their problems without some form of technology.
Now, I understand that it will not solve all of the world’s problems. Certainly, there is a lot to be said for people everywhere to learn how to control the dark side of human nature. Who knows? Maybe a few of them will even learn that through this program.